The “Oscars” of electronic music celebrate turning 21 with an exciting move to a venue that embodies the spirit of Ibiza, Heart Ibiza.
Heart Ibiza is a creative collision of art, gastronomy, and music created in a laboratory of experiences. A collaboration between the Adrià brothers and Cirque Du Soleil.
For many people, Ibiza is a temple of fun and leisure, free of conventions. These values are found in the deepest core of Heart Ibiza, positioning it as a unique space where we can live an experience that will serve to remind us that our senses are diluted among themselves, confusing their limits in an exceptional way.
Celebrating this special edition on Tuesday 11th September, the DJ Awards theme this year takes you back to the 70’s, paying homage to the sound that gave birth to the DJ and clubbing… Disco!
DJ Awards launch the 2018 Categories & Nominees with the most extensive changes to date. There are 13 DJ categories: 9 music categories including Bass, Deep House, Electronica / Downtempo, House, Tech House, Techno, Trance, 4 sub categories, 2 new music categories, Progressive House and Melodic House & Techno, 4 non music categories including Newcomer, Breakthrough and International DJ, supporting over 160 nominees!
The 2018 nominees have been compiled with our panel of industry professionals, and reflect some comprehensive changes from last year. Whilst continuing to support those who remain at the forefront, 4 of the popular music categories have a updated title plus 4 sub categories to the following categories: House, Techno, Tech House and Trance, to create a new layer of DJs who have burst onto the global dance scene in a spectacular fashion the opportunity to be recognised within these awards.
The past 20 years have bought some incredible past winners, including Anna, Armin van Buuren, Black Coffee, Carl Cox, David Guetta, Richie Hawtin, Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler, Solomun, Hannah Wants, Hardwell, Claptone, Solardo, Camelphat. Dimension Festival, Awakenings, Drumcode, Suara and the International Music Summit, have been among the recipients of the Special Awards.
Voting is open until Midnight 24th July, show your support and vote now for your favourite DJs.
In addition to the music categories, there will be 12 Special Industry Awards, which are decided between our panel, including Producer, Track of the season, Record Label of the Year, Ibiza DJ, Ibiza Music Event, Ibiza Night and International Festival.
DJ Awards is a celebration that unites the DJs, industry professionals and media together towards the end of the Ibiza summer season.
- DJ Awards was founded in 1998 by Jose Pascual and Lenny Krarup as the first music awards in recognition of the work and talent of the DJs and producers who live their life for electronic music.
- DJ Awards is a Cultural Association and non-profit organisation.
- DJ Awards has over 160 million audience reach with exposure in 44 countries.
- Referred to as the “Oscars” of the music awards.
- Over 450 nominees researched.
- Over 350 man hours.
- Over 52 days.
- Over a 1500 times surfing nominees online platforms.
- Over a 1250 times listening to nominees music, watching live sets, reading reviews.
- Over a 1000 times checking tracks, releases and record labels.
- Total of 161 DJ nominees/167 nominations.
- 101 New Nominees.
- 100% more female nominees than 2017.
- New category added: Progressive House.
- New sub categories for the 4 popular genres: Techno, Trance, House and Tech House. E.g. Techno Master (Carl Cox, Nina Kraviz, etc) and Techno Artist (Amelie Lens, Ilario Alicante, Charlotte de Witte, etc). As these genres become more popular there is an increasing layer of artists who have burst onto the scene in a spectacular manner, who are no longer Breakthrough or Newcomers, but still should be recognised. Our answer was to create this new sub category.
- New Category: Melodic House & Techno. Important nominees such as Solomun, Tale of Us, Maceo Plex no longer fit in to any of the existing categories, therefore this new category works to define this genre.
- Renamed Category: Downtempo & Eclectic to Electronica / Downtempo. The name change allows a wider list of artists within this genre, including the ever increasingly popular nomad house DJs.
- Updated 4 Categories including 4 new sub categories: House Master / House Artist, Tech Master / Tech House Artist, Techno Master / Techno Artist, Trance Master / Trance Artist.